About the Lightweighting Professional Course
Reducing the weight of structures has become a critical point of focus for many different sectors, such as machine building, transportation and civil construction.
The appropriate handling of raw materials in lightweight design structures is the key success factor for preserving resources and reducing costs. Unfortunately, practical experience often shows that designing and handling rules for new materials are not being respected. The professional training concept underlying in the Lightweight Professional courses addresses this issues.
What will you learn in this programme?
Participants will be able to identify and differentiate the steps involved in developing lightweight products. They will learn how to use, design, construct and set up processes with specific lightweight materials in the correct way to fully utilise the potential of lightweight strategies.
Is this course for you?
The courses are aimed at employees in industry whose work involves planning the manufacture of lightweight products, and at employers who want to start manufacturing products based on lightweight concepts. The basic level is designed for managers, engineers and technical staff. The advanced and expert levels are for technical experts.
Lightweighting Professional at a glance
The Lightweighting Professional programme is an international, modular training programme developed by leading European lightweight material experts. It delivers high quality content and ready-to-use practical knowledge. Participants will experience an open atmosphere with the opportunity for exchange with other participants and industrial branches.
- Type of TrainingOnline Training
- Course DurationThe scope of this training is based on a 40-hour classroom course. Each module begins with a first online meeting where participants will review the structure of the course with the trainer. This will be followed by a three-week self-paced period of work that includes e-learning materials such as videos, self-assessment quizzes, and exercises. Lastly, during the fourth week, there will be a three-day live online session with the trainer that will include a tutorial for exam preparation.
- Course ContentsLightweight design guidelines, lightweight materials, cost- and lifecycle-assessment methodologies, specialized instruction on different lightweight materials and additional transversal perspectives on lightweight materials.
- How the course is organized
- Basic LevelIntroductory Modules
- Advanced LevelMaterial Modules
- Expert LevelTransversal Modules
- Course FeesCost per module: 900 € + 235 € optional examination fee.
- CertificationThe courses follow the requirements of ISO EN 17024 and are certified by an external accreditation body. The certificates confirm that successful course participants have acquired expertise and practical knowledge in the relevant area.
- Certification Requirements
- Basic Level Certification
- Completion of Introductory Module and successful examination
- Advanced Level Certification
- Completition of Basic Level Certification
- At least 4 Material Modules and successful examination
- Expert Level Certification
- Completion of Basic Level Certification
- Completion of Advanced Level Certification
- At least 4 Material Modules and successful examination
- Additional InformationEach module of the Lightweighting Professional course can be taken individually, regardless of whether or not you intend to take sufficient modules to be awarded one of the Lightweight Professional certificates. It is recommended to have previously completed the Introductory Module.
1 Basic Level
The Introductory Module (IM) provides an overview of key aspects of lightweight design and strategies.
- Introductory ModuleThis course begins on February 7, 2022. Learn how to identify and differentiate the crucial steps for the development of a lightweight product, from the initial requirement list and the general solutions to the overall design and product documentation.
2 Advanced Level
The Advanced Level Material Modules deepen knowledge acquired in the Introductory Module.
- Fiber Reinforced PlasticsThis module provides the participant with an overview of the whole lifecycle of a fiber reinforced plastic product, emphasizing its peculiarities from material selection to recycling and repairing.
- Powder Metallurgy and Additive ManufacturingThis module gives you an overview of metal powders and how they can be used to produce components that have a lower mass than conventional production routes.
- SteelThis course begins on September 01, 2021. In this module, you will acquire knowledge of fundamental and technical issues related to steels, from their microstructure and phase transformation to their properties and lightweight applications.
- MagnesiumThis course begins on September 08, 2021. The participants will be provided with the best properties, processing methods, applications and challenges of magnesium, the ninth most abundant element in the universe.
- Aluminium AlloysThis course begins on March 7, 2022. This course begins In this module, you will learn the excellent lightweight potential of Aluminium and its alloys, which can be exploited into industrial components thanks to a wide variety of processing solutions.
- Cast IronsThis course begins on September 15, 2021. In this module, you will learn how a ‘conventional’ material, such as cast iron, can become strategic for lightweight applications, thanks to innovative processes and treatments.
- PolymersPolymers are among the most lightweight manufacturing materials currently available and, together with their applications, it makes them a powerful material for lightweight...